Sunday, February 3, 2013

Early to Bed, Early to Rise...


Loved Ones,

I figured this blog entry would be a good time to talk about my New Year’s resolution.  It’s been over a month since January 1 and this is about the time that most people either make their resolution permanent or completely throw in the towel.  My resolution was simple: go to bed by 10:30 p.m. every night and wake up by 6 a.m. on the weekdays, and no later than 7:30 a.m. on the weekends.  My resolution sounds simple.  In reality, sleep and getting the right amount of it is something I have struggled with since I was a teenager.  Too much sleep or not enough and my mood, productivity, and well-being have taken the resulting hits.  Now, over the years I’ve learned to compensate.  Sleeping till noon (or later) would rob me of several hours each weekend and I would make up for it by staying up later a few nights a week.  Having kids resulted in at least three or four years of not sleeping through the night on a consistent basis.  I had also proclaimed myself a proud night owl, which did not help.  I had turned down really good jobs because they required waking up too early.  The result was constant exhaustion, sort of a low grade ever present fatigue, the result of which was usually an inability to focus on command.  I might also have been a tad irritable on occasion.

I knew embracing my inner morning person after hiding her away for the last thirty years would be tough so I enlisted some help.  First, I began setting an alarm for 10:30 p.m. so I would remind myself when it was time to go to bed.  I set my alarm clock and put it in my bathroom so I would be forced to get out of bed to turn it off.  I also started drinking herbal tea and turning off the t.v. and computer around 10 p.m. and started using that time to read in case the blue light from the screens do keep me up.  (I have been pretty good about the turning the t.v. off at 10 p.m. but Thursdays are really hard because of Scandal but hey, this is a work in progress.)  I’ve gotten some strange looks from friends when the alarm goes off at 10:30 pm and have a hard time staying out past 10 p.m., which isn’t always great for my social life.  However, my productivity has definitely gone up.  I have gained almost an extra day per week and I’m using that time to work out, eat better, read, journal, call my mom, and procrastinate less.  The best benefit is that I don’t feel like I’m sleepwalking through life.

I’ve had a few relapses.  My former night owl self is ever present and tempting me to watch late night t.v. or read a few blogs into the wee hours of the morning on Friday nights.  I’ve had one or two late nights here and there and of course, I’m a big Scandal fan have to remind myself that I can watch it online at another time.  For the most part though, I’m doing ok and am learning to love morning Akunna.  I think the rest of the world likes her better too, especially my son who doesn’t sleep past 8 a.m. unless he’s sick.  He doesn't have to drag his cranky mom out of bed to make breakfast anymore, I beat him to the kitchen now.    I guess Ben Franklin was onto something when he said that early to bed and early to rise makes a man (or woman) healthy, wealthy, and wise.  In my case, I hope it will help me get there faster.

Love always,

Akunna

No comments:

Post a Comment